Electrical Fires – The Main Causes

For every hundred fires, six of them see their roots in electrical appliances, sockets and the like, according to the latest statistics. This proves that when teaching people about fire safety and precautions, electrical safety should also be included as a main component of these guides. How exactly are electrical fires caused? Below are five common sources of them:

•    Faulty outlets – the use of faulty electrician northern beaches is a major reason behind electrical fires. Sockets have to be properly installed and checked regularly to ensure that they function properly; this can be done very easily – even by the homeowner himself/ herself – by the use of a tester. Switches and sockets that do not work properly – for example, they set off sparks when plugs are connected to them, or produce certain noises when current passes through them – need to be replaced as swiftly as possible.

•    Broken cords and plugs – the use of broken plugs and cords is another common reason for electrical fires. Frayed cords where even part of the copper wire sticks out are dangerous to use: if they come into contact with a flammable material, there is a very good chance that they will cause a fire. Broken plugs can cause the plastic to melt and can result in the short-circuiting of the electrical circuits. Under broken cords and plugs must also be included the practice of some people to deliberately remove the earth pin so that they can use that particular plug with a two-pin socket. All electrical supplies come with predesignated cords and plugs for good reason: never attempt to remove the earth pin and plug them into two-pin sockets, because the earth pin is to ensure that the higher currents that these electrical devices require will not end up causing a short-circuiting, a fire or any other similar accident.

•    Portable heaters – portable heaters can very easily cause fires because people don’t pay too much attention to where they keep them. When flammables such as upholstery as in settees and chairs, rugs and curtains are left anywhere near portable heaters, the overheating of the core can quickly cause these materials to catch fire.

•    Old wiring – old wiring is the principal reason for fires in old houses and other old buildings. Wiring which is well over two decades old is considered as not suitable anymore for the modern electrical appliances that are in use today, such as washing machines, fridges, computers and hair driers. The reason is because these electrical appliances require comparatively larger electrical currents that what was provided two decades back, and the chances of overloading the circuits of the old building are therefore very high. Make sure to replace any old wiring in its entirety before using modern electrical appliances with them.

•    Extension cords – and finally, extension cords can also cause fires if used for prolonged periods. Many technicians and electricians have warned the general populace that extension cords are to be used only for temporary purposes; for any other long-term purpose, separate sockets should be installed.